Wednesday, March 30, 2011

10 Things I Hate (and Love) About You

I have been living in Korea for 7 months. By now, I feel comfortable and well adjusted. Though far from achieving "local" status, I think I have been able to obtain a pretty clear picture of the assets and liabilities of Korean life, culture and society. I've been mulling it over in my mind quite a bit the last few weeks, so I have decided to record my top ten favorite and least favorite things about Korea to date. Here they are:

Likes: (I'll start with the positive, because I fancy myself an optimist.)

1. The Public Transportation System- It is incredibly efficient and affordable. Between buses, subways and the KTX bullet train, many people live car free here and are perfectly mobile. It's fantastic.

2. Cooking at your table-There are several styles of restaurant dining here that involve grilling, boiling and barbequing your food right at the table. It is a really fun, hands-on group dining experience.

3. Fall leaves- The colors are simply stunning.

4. Promptness- Often times, if you need something fixed/installed/etc. it can be achieved either that day or the next. When I signed up for my internet at 8:45pm, the sales representative apologized that they would be unable to install it that night. I suppressed a giggle as I assured him that next-day installation would be perfectly alright.

5. Cozy Tights- They look sleek on the outside, but are warm and fuzzy on the inside. SO comfortable!

6. The Kids- Just so adorable.

7. Jimjil bangs- Public bathhouse/Spas where one can soak in hot tubs, get a massage, sit in a sauna, take a nap, watch TV and so much more for the equivalent of 5 USD. I don't know what I will do without them when I get home.

8. Environmental Conscience- Koreans are very adamant and meticulous about recycling.

9. Respect for Elders- As a result of their Confucius heritage, Koreans place a lot of importance on filial piety and deference to the older generations. I think it's really nice (within reason).

10. The Welcome- In general, Koreans really want foreigners to enjoy their country. They will go out of their way to make sure you feel comfortable, don't get lost and never feel hungry. Without their generosity, my time here would have been a far less pleasant experience.


Dislikes:

1. Winter- It is just so bitterly cold. Sometimes there is no way to feel warm no matter what you are wearing.

2. Lack of veggies- There is not a large variety of produce available here, especially vegetables. One of the first things I realized in Thailand was how much I had missed fresh salads and the like.

3. Lack of conversation about current events- I don't know if they are oblivious or just unwilling to talk about potentially unpleasant things. But, none of my co-teachers approached me about either the shelling by North Korea or the Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan. Perhaps they discuss these things amongst themselves, I don't know. But the apparent lack of conversation strikes me as odd and a bit eerie.

4. Collective Mentality- While I admire some facets of the Confucian philosophy, the herd mentality it creates in some Koreans is a bit annoying. The homogeny here is practically a law.

5. K-pop Music- It is repetitive and obnoxious (I acknowledge that Western Pop is too, but I find it easier to escape).

6. Bleak color pallet- Especially in the winter when all the plants are dormant, Korean cities look rather bleak. There is not much variety in the concrete architecture and, without many evergreen trees to break up the gray, it begins to wear at your soul.

7. Residual Chauvinism- Korea is still a very patriarchal society. I have had some harrowing reports from my co-teachers about their marriages. And it is a well-known fact that Korean men are rarely faithful. In fact, it is not uncommon for business meetings to be conducted in whorehouses. I am so glad that I was born an American girl.

8. Overall Inefficiency- Korea was recently ranked the hardest working but least efficient country in the industrialized world. This is evident in Public School system in many ways and it can be quite frustrating sometimes.

9. Crazy Drivers- They're just terrible. I've witnessed more accidents here in 7 months than I had previously in my whole life.

10. Mispronunciation- Many Koreans add an "E" sound at the end of English(ey) words where it does not exist. This is the month of "Marchey". After dinner, I "washey" the dishes. No, no, NO!!!

So, there is my rant and rave about Korea. Because of all these things, I'm having one of the most memorable years of my young existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment