Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Field Day at Keumsan Temple and Hanok Village

On Sunday, Aug 22nd we had a welcomed break from all-day lectures and were able to see what lies beyond the Jeonju campus. After a 45 min ride on the fanciest bus I've ever ridden on, we arrived at the Keumsan Temple.
This temple was founded around AD 599 as the main temple for the practice of Maitreya Buddhism. The temple complex is set up as a series of terraces with archways or gates that one must pass through to reach the next terrace. Apparently, there is a demon that will smite evil doers in one of the archways. Luckily, I passed through unscathed. Each building was a unique work of art with incredibly intricate hand carved and painted embellishments. Inside some of the shrines, Buddhist monks were chanting and burning incense. I felt so intrusive standing there with my camera, wearing my EPIK shirt while these serene, devout little men practiced their religion. However, I'm really glad I was able to experience the beauty of the place. And even with tourists swarming all over it, it remained majestic and peaceful.



After exploring the temple complex, we re boarded the bus and drove to the Hanok village on the outskirts of Jeonju. This is a cluster of old buildings that are now used by craftsmen to produce pottery, do wood working, fan making and many other traditional crafts.

We were given a mini lesson on the traditional Jeonju art of fan making, using paper made there in the Hanok Village. These fans were the most welcomed souvenirs we could have received considering the 98 degree weather. It was a very full day that thoroughly wore me out. I was finally able to sleep straight through the night and only woke up to my alarm. Goodbye, jet lag!

No comments:

Post a Comment